11/12/09

Scammers, GOTO, Hell

Well I got wave invite scammed. I'm nerd enough to want a wave invite, just not nerd enough to see a obvious scam for what it is.

OK, if you're like me and this is today's breaking news: Google Wave is rumored to be better than Christmas morning. The Beta is invite only. Getting invited is so difficult the FREE invites have sold for as much as $30.00 on eBay. Shame on you capitalists. Also while I have your attention, Capitalists, don't forget to donate, thanks.

The real issue is that internet scammers are using this surge of panicked invite requesting to get people to jump through ludicrous hoops. Even a legitimate request gives up your email address. There is a Wave of Wave scams, WILD LAUGHTER.

Countermeasure Blog's description of the scam

Tech 65 Blog's warning

My experience was telling as to why this is so effective. "Wave invite Free" got me so excited, my common sense got drunk on eggnog (Ed. - Christmas theme?). I hurriedly clicked a link to a different site with a sort of Google name and proceed to sign up and submit my email in a HTML code format (Likely used for automating the process of gathering names).

After the adrenaline faded my vision returned. A one invite seeker edited his post shortly after my initial one, deleting his email and posting, "scam site, google no longer accepting invites" (paraphrased and unconfirmed). So after Googling that term a dozen or so blogs showed that I was indeed the turd of the week. The forum used doesn't allow for deletion of accounts, so the best I could do was edit out my email and post a warning (to late, and will go unnoticed). To prevent furthering their scheme I'm not posting the link, but the pic shows my outrage is at maximum caps level.














The email I submitted was my brand new Topdawn@gmail.com. Fresh and pure, it has no contacts in it to harm friends, but it does mean I'll probably have to switch to a new character, since Topdawn will at least be getting spam for all eternity, and at worse sending harmful emails to contacts (to avoid that, I'm deleting the account after a week or so of investigating).

Speaking directly to the con('s): The Flying Spaghetti Monster will send you to Hell!

Seems passion is what it takes to write. Also, I still love Google a big grand bunch, and hope they hire me. I'm composing a application. Google takes those right? Topdawn
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment